Monday, October 26, 2009

Money Motivation

I've tried a lot of things over the years when it comes to gaining control of my money, but I think Dave Ramsey may be on to something here.

This afternoon I had an hour or so to myself and worked on the last step to October's budget. Usually I don't get to this part. It's the step where you look at what you ACTUALLY spent compared to what you INTENDED to spend. Yeah, it doesn't take much to figure out why I always avoid this part and just start "fresh" on next month.

But I've been trying really hard the last few months and today I sat down to take note. So it turned out that I didn't stick to the numbers in each category, but I DID stay within the overall budget!! This is a big deal. We have very little expendable income, but something always comes up. This month "it" was $90 for Tamaflu for Clare. I'm sure there were other bigger costs not exactly planned for. But I didn't have to borrow money from other accounts or anything. And I'm motivated by this.

Ramsey is right about needing to take things in small steps so as not to get discouraged. And even though we really really have to watch every penny, it's starting to get kindof fun. Since I'm home a lot I have the opportunity to find a way to make it work. Praise the Lord!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!