Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Reconstruction

New bedtime, new baby, moving things around in the house, new school year – it’s a lot for one little girl to handle all at once. And despite the gradual approach to some of it, it’s just hard.

But she put her brave face on again, and with a smile, prepared for her first day of 1st grade. I’m sure she isn’t the only child who was nervous or the only one who has a lot going on at home. We have a crazy life, and we aren’t the only ones.

But she’s my brave girl, and it’s our crazy life, so it seems pretty significant. Despite this, I didn’t fall apart. I didn’t even get close to tears until I called Brad to say our brave girl went off to 1st grade strong and resolute. Then I lost it a little, but nothing that you might expect from a very pregnant mom such as this.

The resiliency of kids has always amazed me. Working with high-schoolers and now watching my own children, I’m blown away with how they can bounce back over and over – picking up the pieces and putting them back together. How they put them back together, I think, is based largely on their support system (do they have one?), and so some kids put together a reality that isn’t healthy. But it’s about survival, and so we do what we have to do, with what we know. Not a lot of choice.

I hope and pray I can help my kids put the pieces back together when they have to. Our lives are constantly changing and we all have to re-assemble things every once in a while. I’m glad they have to face change and challenge in childhood. Without it they might become very helpless adults.

Lord, while they are small, help me to provide them with a safe and loving home where they can reconstruct as often as our crazy life calls for it. Thank you for giving me a home like that, and a family whose perpetual love has helped life make sense.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!