Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Not Insignificant


Snapshot_20120502_2
Mmmmmm, a good thunderstorm. A quiet house. A quiet NEW house! I sit here at my kitchen table watching the rain blow closer... pretty much just as I imagined it might look from this spot.

I love the light in my home. The windows fill up these rooms with light, whether I ask them to or not. We have a perfect view of the new corn, growing faster than we can believe. And of the sky expanse that surrounds us. Surely the view of this sky will inspire my children to dream. It has me.

From this kitchen table I feel like nothing is impossible.
As I sit here doing paperwork, a sweet sleeping baby upstairs, my girls safely at school – it feels like the wind is behind my back, pushing me into something… something great. Maybe it’s becoming the mom my kids need to me to be. Maybe it’s becoming the wife God knows my husband needs. Maybe it’s being a source of encouragement for others. Maybe it’s in those little daily ways I can serve my God. Maybe I’ll never feel like it was a big deal.

But as I type that last sentence, the thunder grips my house and my body and shakes them. I know better than to belittle an act of God, the Holy Spirit’s work in a life, the right prayer at the right time, the uplifting word on a heavy heart. I know better than to ignore the wind and question God’s timing. I know better than to think God’s plan isn’t huge... much bigger than me... and much bigger than this storm.

Nothing is small. Nothing is meaningless. Nothing has gone unnoticed by our God. He is working in our lives whether we are paying attention or not…filling our lives with what we need, like these windows and this light. Sometimes we see. Sometimes we can’t. But he is always there, working this incredible plan. Working thru us and our mundane activities, our short conversations, our quick prayers. Changing families, changing minds, growing His kingdom – using us despite our shortcomings.

The rain blew through quickly. It’s over now, but the windows are covered in raindrops and I can hear the distant thunder, now a few miles down the road. Sometimes he acts quickly, but He still acts. Just because it is sudden or swift doesn’t make it any less relevant. Just because it’s a small deed of kindness, a smile, a quick note - doesn’t mean it’s insignificant.

Soak up the good things in your life right now. Celebrate small triumphs. Praise Him for the work He has done, and is doing, through you. And remind me later – when my kids are grouchy and my house is messy again. God is working through us, CAN work through us even in those stressful moments, “to will and to act according to his good purpose.”

Therefore, my dear friends…continue to work out (express) your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.


Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless (so people can’t label you a complainer) and pure, children of God without fault in (the midst of) a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life…”
Philippians 2:12-16 NIV (parentheses added by me)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!