Saturday, April 20, 2013

Does Your Behavior Define You?

I hope not.

There was a sign on Facebook that someone posted recently. It said,

“Your beliefs don’t make you a better person, your behavior does.”

Of course lots of people “liked” this idea. I like the idea of holding people responsible for their behavior too. It also serves as a little reminder that other people judge us based on how we behave. Plus we can have a really powerful effect on a person - in a good way or bad way - based on our behavior.

But let’s be honest. If I am being defined by my behavior, then I might as well give up right now. Let’s see...that makes me a hypocritical, jealous, crabby, inconsiderate, snobby failure. I mean, at least some of the time. We all have our good moments (I hope), but I think there are plenty of times when I fall right on my face in the behavior department. Acted like a child anytime recently? Yep. Me too.

Instead, thankfully, my behavior does not define me. Because of my God, I am forgiven for my behavior. I am challenged to behave more like Jesus. I am empowered by the Holy Spirit.

I do not depend on myself.

Instead I know I am more than my behavior. I am loved. I am lovable. I was chosen to be the mother of these children. Chosen to be a committed wife, a sister in Christ to my friends, and a holy child of God.

What I believe totally defines me. It reminds me that I don’t walk out on my marriage. That my children need lots of grace. That I should respect authority. That people need forgiveness.

Every day. And so do I.

My God makes me a better person. I am defined by my God - the Creator of the Universe! - as a Holy Child, whom He paid the price for. And God willing, my beliefs will help me become a better person, every day. My good behavior is not consistent.

But my God is.


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!