Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Fresh Year of Second Chances

photo credit: Grant MacDonald via photopin cc


I love fresh starts.  

Really there is no magical difference between yesterday and today.  The flaws I seek to alter, the unfinished projects - they remain.  

But humanity embraces an opportunity to mark time… a beginning and an end… the old and the new.  And there’s nothing wrong with that. 

It’s why I loved teaching.  Each day is a new day.  
It’s why the morning can feel filled with hope.  The sun rises with possibilities.  
It’s why a fresh blank page in front of me makes me smile.  Something new is coming. 

Your brain thrives on novelty.  It loves anticipation.  It yearns for a blank slate.  So does mine. 

So we make one.  We set a day aside to commemorate what has past, and look ahead to what is new.  

And then it begins.  The blank page, the new calendar, the fresh year - whatever you want to call it.  
It is here. 

And while there is nothing magically different about today, we can convince ourselves there is.  It can feel like a fresh start.  And we should run with it.  

Everyone needs a fresh start.  Everyone needs their slate wiped clean, a chance to try again.  We all have something… many things… we would like to put behind us so we can move on with our lives.  

Sure our trial and tribulations have changed us.  Sure we’ve learned something and maybe we wouldn’t even trade that.  This year we will see the world differently on Jan 2nd than we did last year.  Thank goodness.  

But it doesn’t change the yearning for a blank page.  

And I’m thankful for the changes that my messes made in me last year, and I’m thankful I get second chances and it just makes for a great start to a new year when I can take a sec to see that there are good things that came of them.  And I’m thankful to leave that behind and I can take a deep breath and rest in the arms of a Savior that is the King of Second Chances.   

The King of Second Chances greets me today - and everyday - offering me a new start.  I come to him and cry out for a new day.  I cry and complain about my mistakes and my what-was-I-thinking moments and when I’ve admitted my mistakes he lovingly reassures me he is not holding on to the past.
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and purify us….” I John 1:9

Let it be known to you therefore, brothers, that through this man forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you, and by Him everyone who believes is freed from everything from which you could not be freed by the law of Moses.” Acts 13:38,39

The new year begins, and with it there will be lots of second chances.  Second chances to see what matters and to be forgiving.  Second chances to think before we speak and relish a comforting word.  Second chances to make goals and lists and plans and keep them and even finish them.  

And an everyday-everyminute chance to ask God to wrap us up in his forgiving love, take a deep breath, and try again.  He isn’t holding on to our mistakes when we are desperate to leave them behind.  He is only holding on to us.  

Happy Fresh Start Day 2014.  Live it everyday.  


1 comment :

Thanks for joining the conversation!