Thursday, December 2, 2010

The To-Do List

Today on Proverbs 31 Ministries, Lysa writes a devotional about being real with people about what Jesus has done in our lives.

I need to be real with Jesus today, about how unfocused I’ve become this week.

Wasn’t it only Sunday night that I joined with a large group of women from my church and relished the Christmas message? Wasn’t it just last week that we celebrated Thanksgiving and all we have to be thankful for? Shouldn’t I BE FOCUSED on what is important right now?

But I’m not. How quickly the message goes in one ear and out the other; crowded out by my to-do list. I predicted this in Sunday night’s devotional. I identified the realities that overwhelm our Christmas season and make it hard to celebrate what Christmas is all about. And just like that: I’m there.

The cell phone breaks, the oven is on the fritz, my cough won’t go away, the bank account is shrinking, there are meetings and calls to make, the girls need new clothes, the baby has a well-check appointment, and the laundry is ridiculous... my list is endless.

It’s like your list. I’m not whining about all I have to do. This is my life. I love it! I love that I have an oven and a cell phone. I love that my girls are growing and I need to find them some new clothes. I love that my baby lives in a country where I can get him vaccinated. I know Brad makes enough money to support us and our bank account will be just fine.

It’s just that... Well, it’s like the sign I saw in a store yesterday: “Life is what happens when you’re making other plans.” There is so much going on... so much to think about. I found last night I couldn’t go to sleep because I was still on auto-drive. And time in the Word? Ha! Not even close.

Lysa wrote something else in her devotional today:

And don't fret trying to figure out how to arrange the perfect situation… Just tell Jesus you are willing. He's very capable of handling all the details. Our job is obedience. God's job is results.

I’m glad that’s God’s job and not mine.

Lord, I am REALLY unfocused on you right now. Things are already getting a little out of hand, here and it’s only December 2. I need you to step in RIGHT NOW and get me right with you. I need to be motivated to look to you first, before I look at my to-do list every morning. I need to pray before AND after I go into Target (or whatever store), that I can be positive, responsible with our money, and a witness of your love and patience – with my kids and everyone else I interact with. Lord I know you can make these things happen. I’m handing things over to you.

Amen.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!