Monday, December 17, 2012

Stark Contrast


This weekend we celebrated my oldest daughter’s 9th birthday.  It started Friday night when her dad and I took her shopping, to get her ears pierced, and surprised her with dinner with one of her favorite people in the world.   

Saturday I took her and some of her giggling classmates to the movie.  (We saw Wreck It Ralph; I’d recommend it!)  The van was brimming with 8 and 9 year-old happiness.  Her sister, 5, got to go too, and saw her first movie in a theater. 

Sunday morning our family made it to church (eventually).  I hugged and loved on my kindergartner and baby boy, while I cried,as our congregation prayed for the parents not so lucky as me. 

My weekend of joy was in stark contrast to the parents and families in Newtown.  And I can’t stop thinking about the nightmare they are living…

..When I look at our brightly lit Christmas tree, decorated by my kids…

..When I see my kindergartener’s bean bag chair, the imprint of her body still there…

..When she runs into the room and throws her arms around me..

..I think of them.

And I cry.

Lord, give those families strength to survive this week.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!