Friday, July 12, 2013

Handing God My List

"But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." John 3:21


photo credit: Kuzeytac @Vacation via photopin cc
This summer has not been good.  Hate to be a downer, but it has just been really rough.  Too much drama, too many disappointments.  Someday maybe I’ll tell you all about it.  For now just trust me.  I’m about ready to crawl in bed and not come out till October. 

After another crushing realization last night, I woke up this morning and wandered around my house for a while  somewhat lost.  Thankfully a really great post the other day was still floating around in my head, which suggests 3 smart ways to start off your day: Open your Bible, turn on some Christian music, and provide a Jesus moment for your kids.  Ok, read that when you are done with this. ;)  

So I opened my Bible and I’ve been reading John and I’m on chapter 3.  The last verse gave me some needed hope. 

"But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." John 3:21

What God can do and what I can do are two very different things.  

Then I stumbled upon a post online about forgiveness.  And I started journaling.  

Lord, I am disappointed and mad...
I know that I am called to love in the face of this disappointment.  I am so weak right now.  

I started listing out the things I need to do right now that I don’t know if I can do.  That I just don’t feel like I can handle.  

I need to be prepared for this weekend.  It’s all up to you.  Help me. 

I need to support my friends.  It’s all up to you.  Help me. 

I need to be a good mom.  Help my daughter with her projects.  Take care of my children.  It’s all up to you.  Help me. 

And the craziest thing happened.  Each time I laid my list before God, I felt a little better.  I could feel strength coming back, the spirit lifting me up.  

I know God wants us to let Him handle all our STUFF, but that’s different than actually handing it over to him.  Item by item, I am handing it over to God.  Because I have little left in me right now.  And that’s a good thing.  Because God will do a much better job than I would have. 

"But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." John 3:21


Have you stumbled into God's strength when yours was all gone? Who can testify to the good things that have been done through God?


2 comments :

  1. Angela,

    Thank you so much for sharing about Debbie's post at The M.O.M. Initiative! It's such a blessing and honor to know the Lord ministers to the hearts of moms through the M.O.M.s and I LOVE your heart, your passion and your transparency!

    Great post! I shared it on Facebook! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie, thanks so much for the comment! I love the M.O.M. Initiative and the encouragement it brings on it's blog. Thanks to all who have commented on this post (in FB and otherwise). It is so great to know that I can be useful to people as I learn more about God's provision!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation!