Sunday, July 21, 2013

I'm Not Sitting Alone

I’m sitting in a tough moment.  

Been there?

This current struggle does not happen and then go away.  It follows me everywhere.  Especially in quiet moments.  Whether I am lying in bed trying to go to sleep, or driving down the road with fewer children than normal (hence the silence), or sitting in the peace of the morning before my family wakes up.  I’m sitting in a tough moment in my marriage. 

Praise the Lord, I have been given some wise counsel.  I have a good book right now that I think is helping and a few friends I can lean on.  I have plenty of resources.  

And when someone suggests something or the book instructs a behavior that I am unsure of, I ponder it and weigh the possible outcomes. 

So there is a suggestion for me to ask my husband a question and I’m sitting here trying to decide if I should.  The question is: How have I hurt you?
I have lots of good reasons not to ask him this today.  I don’t want to bother him, or risk the day we have planned.  I don’t want him to have to think about me like that, when we both seem to be in a good mood and we are going to spend time with our kids.  I don’t want to stress him out.  

And let’s be honest.  I don’t want to him think about how I’ve hurt him. 

Are these good reasons not to ask?  The answer to this question is really something I need to know and we need to talk about.  I suspect Satan is disguising himself as a non-confrontational peace-maker here to keep me from doing what I need to do.

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Romans 8:37-39

The verse I’ve been leaning on the last few days solidly stands before me.  I meditate on it.  Why is this verse of so much comfort to me right now?

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” Much more than conquerors, much more than just the winner of life over death.  Christ earned salvation for us, but there is even more!, as Paul writes in Romans 8.  The bottom line is not only did we win this incredible gift... but we also get all the extras (dive into Romans 8 to learn more).  

But the best extra - the most amazing part to me today - is that we get the love and companionship and attention of our God and Savior.  
I know that my God is sitting right next to me in this tough moment.  
I know that He won’t leave me and that he is encouraging me and patiently loving me.  
I know that He is leading me and when I ask Him for wisdom He will guide me.  
I know that He will forgive me for all the stupid things I will say in this tough time and He will cry with me when I’m frustrated.  
When I seek Him, He will answer.  When I pray, He will listen. 

I am so comforted by the faithfulness and devotion of my God.  “For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

So thankful. 



Have you found peace in a storm because you could feel God’s presence?  




photo credit: jenny downing via photopin cc

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!