Friday, December 17, 2010

Ode to My Sophia

Birthdays are a good excuse - and a good reason - to focus in on one kid. I appreciate that today is Sophie's day and, as such, gives me an opportunity to really think about how blessed we are that she is ours.

Of course there is the usual "I can't believe she's 7." Although this year it does seem a little different. I mean, 7? Really? That's a long time. J

But also I'm thinking more just about who she is as a person. And I'm focusing in on the good stuff. It's hard not to feel a little sorry for her - she has some of her teeth and is missing others; and she's growing out her bangs. So it's a rather awkward stage for her. But her confidence doesn't seem too shaken. I love that she has her own sense of style and is not afraid to go with it. She wears outfits I would not have attempted, and does things to her hair I have not thought of. And frequently it looks fabulous. She is clearly an artist, though she is less confident about that idea. But I think it's clear and I love it.

She is smart and sassy. This gets her in trouble, but often it's spot-on. Her wit and wisdom frequently impress me. I hate when she argues with me, but sometimes she makes a good point and gets me thinking twice bout my own behavior.

She loves loves loves her siblings, especially when Clare is in a good mood. J She appreciates Clare's hilarious personality, and she values our family.. as a family. She can't help but love to teach - and learn. She really likes to be in charge and I can't blame her one bit. She has great ides and I just wish I had enough money to carryout half of them.

She is certainly growing up. Besides being a head taller than many of her friends, she is thoughtful and dramatic. These are two qualities that I expect will only get stronger. And when I say thoughtful, I mean she thinks about things. She asks questions and wants to figure stuff out.

7 years ago I had no idea how my life was about to change - you never do, right? And today I'm not going to think about my regrets - what I should have done when she was this or that. That doesn't do her any good. Today I'm going to celebrate her, treat her like the gift she is, and make sure she knows who loves her. Thank you, God, for Sophia.

(Who, by the way, has decided she prefers "Sophie.") J

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!